Skip to main content

Our Government Requires Morality and Religion

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
                                                     -John Adams

On this beautiful Sabbath day I was reminded of why I hold so strongly to my Christian faith. Not only is it the guide for my life, my reason for getting up each morning and of living each day as best I can, it is a reminder that everything that is good in this life comes from God. Why am I sharing this on a political blog? The quote above by John Adams is a very powerful reminder of the necessity of a moral and religious people in upholding the Constitution. That religion does not need to be Christianity. It can be Judaism, Buddhism, Islam; it doesn't matter. Religion provides a reason to better ourselves as human beings. The Constitution of the United States is built around the understanding that man can rule himself. That understanding is based off of the idea that people live to better themselves; therefore religion and morality are essential in upholding the Constitution. Whether or not today is your Sabbath Day consider the importance of living a good life in protecting the wonderful freedoms we are so blessed with here that allow us to worship whom we please! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PC, Cultural Respect, and Getting Over It

I was watching Fox news during my morning routine a few days ago (I’m conservative, sue me) and saw the story on Trump’s visit to Israel. Between the back and forth on Israel and U.S. relations, foreign policy, and Trump’s actions overseas, I caught some of the conversation on Melania Trump’s overseas presence. The newscasters were discussing the Israeli media’s praise of First Lady Trump and her modest clothing choices. The Israeli media made a point to recognize that while she wasn’t dressed in a head scarf or other such traditional dress she chose a very conservative outfit out of respect for a culture she was not a part of. They took note of her freedom of expression in not dressing exactly like they dressed but they appreciated the efforts put forth to show her respect for their culture. Respect. That’s really what it all comes down to here. We hear a lot in our culture about the endless ways we can offend other people. We can say, do, act, or be a direct offense to another i

God Bless America

Yesterday I watched American Sniper. It was one of the most gut-wrenching, eye-opening, tear-jerking movies I have ever seen. As someone who watches the news frequently I had semi-followed the trial regarding Chris Kyle and heard the powerful words of his wife Taya. My heart went out to this family who had seen their father narrowly survive four tours in Iraq only to have his life taken by a fellow veteran in the states. The movie ended and I sat there in awe; unable to say a word. My respect for the military, for what they go through, and their dedication to defending freedom greatly increased. I have always loved our military. Memorial Day, Veterans Day, D-Day, etc have always been days to remember those who have fallen and those who serve. I never could have imagined the pain and suffering these soldiers see. Our military sacrifices more than their lives for the cause of freedom. Every soldier who goes overseas makes sacrifices. That could be sacrifices of comfort and

The Notes on Ronald Reagan: The Notes - JFK and Lifting our Problems

One of my favorite US Presidents of all time is Ronald Reagan. He was a man of courage, integrity, honor, strength, and true American principles. I admire his life and his governance immensely. Recently I started reading the book Ronald Reagan: The Notes which is the collection of Reagan’s notes, quotes, and thoughts regarding his studies throughout his life. As I read I often find myself vigorously agreeing with great thinkers like J.S. Mill and John F. Kennedy and crying out in horror at quotes from people like Mussolini and George Bernard Shaw. Reading this book is not only increasing my admiration for President Reagan but is also filling my mind with powerful conversations that are especially prevalent in our world of growing chaos. My purpose in writing this post is to share my thoughts on these quotes that I believe are absolutely necessary to the discussion of freedom, liberty, and American principles. This will not be my last post on the topic as I hope to continue sharing my